The optical fibers used in the cable shall meet the following properties.
- Cladding Diameter of 125.0µm with a tolerance of ±7µm
- Core Concentricity Error: <0.5 µm
- Cladding Non-Circularity: < 7 %
- Coating Diameter (Colored): 245 ± 10 µm.
- Maximum Attenuation (cabled fiber): 0.35 dB//km at 1310 nm wavelength and 0.22 dB/km at 1550 nm wavelength
- Mode-Field Diameter: 9.20 ± 0.40 µm at 1310 nm wavelength and 10.40 ± 0.50 µm at 1550 nm wavelength
- Attenuation at the Water Peak (at1383 ± 3 nm): Less than or equal to the attenuation at 1310 nm
- Cable Cutoff Wavelength: < 1260 nm.
- Zero Dispersion Wavelength: 1300nm to 1324 nm
- Zero Dispersion Slope: < 0.092 ps / (nm2 km)
- Polarization Mode Dispersion (Link design value): 0.2 ps/ sqrt.km
- Maximum Fiber Dispersion: 5 ps/(nm · km) for 1285 nm through 1330 nm and shall be < 18 ps/(nm · km) at 1550 nm.
- Fiber Curl: ³0 m
All optical fibers shall be proof tested by the manufacturer to a minimum load of 0.69 GN/m2 (100 ksi).
The fibers shall not adhere to the inside of the buffer tube.
The coating shall be a dual layered, UV cured acrylate applied by the fiber manufacturer. The coating shall be capable of being mechanically stripped with a force of 1.3 – 8.9 N.
Each optical fiber strand shall be color coded with distinct and recognizable colors in accordance with the most recent version of EIA/TIA-598, Optical Fiber Cable Color or IEC 60304 standards.