SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) networks have undergone significant changes, and the technological developments have made fiber optic technology a viable solution for users looking to build a network.
♦What is SCADA?
SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) is a system of software and hardware elements that allows industrial organizations to:
● Control industrial processes locally or at remote locations
● Monitor, gather, and process real-time data
● Directly interact with devices such as sensors, valves, pumps, motors, and more through human-machine interface (HMI) software
● Record events into a log file
SCADA systems are crucial for industrial organizations since they help to maintain efficiency, process data for smarter decisions, and communicate system issues to help mitigate downtime.
♦Who Uses SCADA?
SCADA systems work well in many different types of enterprises because they can range from simple configurations to large, complex installations. SCADA systems are the backbone of many modern industries, including:
Virtually anywhere you look in today’s world, there is some type of SCADA system running behind the scenes: maintaining the refrigeration systems at the local supermarket, ensuring production and safety at a refinery, achieving quality standards at a waste water treatment plant, or even tracking your energy use at home, to give a few examples.
♦How Can Fiber Optics Improve SCADA?
Fiber optic technology can provide:
● Immunity to EMI/RFI
● Elimination of Spark Hazards
● Increased Transmission Distances
● Immunity to Ground Faults and Transients
● Greater Bandwidth (increased signal capacity)
● Secure Transmission
Sun Telecom‘s fiber optic products can be used to support SCADA systems as indicated in the following pictures below.